May 28, 2012

Life.

Life has not been particularly kind the last couple of weeks, but time will help heal the hurt. I've been reminded, yet again, just how blessed I am to have married into such a wonderful family. Their unwavering love and support for one another is amazing, and I'm honored to be a part of it.

This weekend has been non-stop. I decided on a whim to paint our bedroom, because it's gotten pretty much no attention at all since we moved into our house three years ago. So, Saturday morning, I made my way into Lowe's. I knew I wanted to paint it grey, but I wasn't sure about shade, darkness, etc. I was looking through the samples and knew I had the right shade as soon as I saw the name: Man Cave {grey}.                 [Insert lengthy, yet explanetory, backstory here.] My husband loves 'vintage' games. We have all manner of systems, and piles of games to go along with them. I am not complaining - I love his collection and think he could totally have way worse obsessions that old video games and systems. He works super hard, and I'm thrilled to indulge him as a very small thanks for all he does. We've also got a super duper arcade machine that I won a few years back, and thought this might be a perfect opportunity to make him an awesome 'game room'. [End of backstory.]                      On a whim, I checked out the 'mistint' shelves and discovered two gallons of paint that were the same shade for $5 each. I've by DYING to paint my kitchen, but have been having a heck of a time trying to figure out what color I wanted. For $10, I figured I could live with it as I'm absolutely sick of the color it is now {a burnt orange, courtesy of the previous homeowners} and chucked it in my cart.

So, that was Saturday. Now we're at Monday. How far did I get? Well, our bedroom is completely painted {with the exception of the ceiling, but that'll come sometime....} and we ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!! I couldn't have found a better shade at all. It compliments the furniture well, and isn't too dark as I feared it might've been. Thankfully, Jon loves it as much as I do! We've moved the arcade machine in, and picked up a media storage unit to house all of his Nintendo and Super Nintendo games. I've got shelves to put up, and a few other things to take care of before I share pictures, but stay tuned. I thought I'd tell the story now so I squeeze in a few extra pics when the time comes. =)

Also, the mistint turned out to be a total homerun! I've only gotten one full wall and part of another done, but it looks AWESOME! I've been 'deep cleaning' while prepping/painting, so it's been a lengthy process, but I feel so very accomplished this weekend! And I am totally thrilled at the idea of a 'new' kitchen for $10!! =)

We even got to squeeze in time at the cabin with some of Jon's family, and bonfires and water balloons fights are being planned by the kiddos for this afternoon and evening. But, for now, time to get back to work. I'm hoping to get a little more painting done, as I'm super impatient to finish up the kitchen.

Sorry for all the words! Since it's been a couple of weeks since my last post, I suppose I'm feeling a bit chatty. Here's some pics from our hijinks at the cabin yesterday:



Oh, Wacky Jacky... I love the faces he makes. =)
I hope you all have a wonderful Memorial Day!! Thanks to all the men and women that have and continue to serve our country. Thank you {and your loved ones} for your service and great sacrifice for our freedom and our country.

Jennie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and suggestions!! Thanks for stopping by! =)